We often hear the word “niche”, what is the meaning of the word?
- It is not a mainstream product although it may be under the same category
- It is an item that may be difficult to buy on regular shops
- When a product has special application or special interest to a certain group of people, it would be advisable to purchase only products for that particular group.
- It is a product with a reliable and predictable selling power because it is equipped with special appeal or it is a necessity to a certain group.
Surprisingly though, when your hear people use the word “niche products”, they may be playing it safe or just following what the crowd does as a form of their strategy.
For example, you want to target a well known and popular product category but choose to concentrate on one particular brand of product. Example, we all know that sex toys are hot sellers for some but then you choose to specialize in “Mongolian hand crafted leather whips”. You may even get these products from where your competitors are sourcing the same product. But you have to pull all your energy and know how so that customers will support your product.
You should know your target group as well as their special tastes.
The other way of looking for a marketable niche product is to “get ahead with the pack”. This is done if you can identify the particular market demand that you think is under supplied in your location at the moment. You have to search for that particular product to meet the current demand.
Various ways to source products that other outlets are not supplying:
- Supply foreign or local markets wherein your products are previously unknown or hard to obtain
- Make a thorough internet research so that you can discover products that are good and have potential but currently marketing is poor
- Make it a point to always visit trade shows so that you will discover new products and keep abreast with the current marketing trend
- As much as possible if you can work with manufacturers, design and develop new products
“Customer Group Niche” Another Tip That Must be Considered”
There are times that the niche is not the product but your target market. Think of “customer group niche” that will give you more profit compared to non-niche products. A good example would be when hobby products that are known to have specialist products or branded products but then there are also generic products that have potential to sell like hotcakes also to the same group at higher products.
Another example is when you are selling items for fishing; hobbyist will certainly buy products that like the fishing rods and lines. At the same time they will be interested in buying related products like outdoor clothes, bags, camping chairs, drink flask and other related items for fishing.
It will be a good idea if you can bring the products to your market or audience and save the customers their efforts from searching in the different places for their needed product. You can add a slightly higher price for these products and your customers will not mind this at all. In e commerce, looking for a particular “customer group niche” is just another kind of keyword optimization.
On Ebay, instead of searching for fingerless gloves, you key in “sailing gloves”, gloves windsurfing”, “gloves fishing” or gloves for quad-biking”. If you can capture people who are hobbyist, you can now successfully giver your customers’ good prices.